IH Certificate in Teaching Young Learners & Teenagers (IHCYLT)
- Qualified teachers with no prior experience of teaching young learners
- Qualified teachers who have already taught young learners but would like specific training
To prepare teachers for the specific challenges of working with young learners and teenagers, through a blend of online learning and face-to-face assessed teaching practise.
20 online sessions covering areas such as: Child Development, Clarifying and Practising Language, L1 in the classroom, Teaching Very Young Learners, Teaching Adolescents, Material Design and Selection.
- Two written assignments: one on teaching materials, plus a self-reflection task, assessed by a qualified online tutor
- Four teaching practise sessions with two different age groups, observed by a local tutor with YL experience in an IH school.
The course is taught online by qualified, experienced YL English teachers who hold an online tutoring qualification. Suitably qualified local tutors conduct the observations and the final portfolio is moderated by the IH Assessment Unit.
- The course takes 12 weeks and will require a minimum of 5 hours’ online work per week, plus time for writing assignments.Trainees are required to spend 6 hours observing peers and more experienced colleagues, and carry out a minimum of 3 hours of observed teaching practise, eg. 4 x 45 minute lessons
Firstly, to be considered you need to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants need to be qualified teachers with at least one year’s full-time experience.
- Applicants require regular / daily access to the internet with a good connection.
- Applicants need to be able to dedicate 4hours a week to the course for twelve weeks.
- Applicants need to arrange for an IH-approved local tutor to observe them four times during the course, including 45 minutes for each observation and an additional 45 minute meeting for feedback on the lesson.
- Applicants need to be able to arrange 6 hours of observation of peers and experienced teachers either in their school or at International House.
Secondly, you need to complete the application form and email, post or fax it to us. If your initial application is successful then you will be invited for interview. In some cases we may request additional information before your application can be considered further. Overseas applicants will be interviewed by Skype.
Successful candidates will receive a formal acceptance email, together with details for payment. We can only reserve places on courses for applicants who have made an initial deposit. Full payment must be made four weeks before the course starts.
Click here to download the application task
|£540 (excluding VAT), £648 (including VAT)|
This price is for the online component only. Additional costs may be incurred for a local tutor to carry out assessed teaching practice. International House World Organisation is not responsible for providing candidates with a local tutor or suitable classes for teaching practice.
This price includes moderation by Cambridge English Language Assessment, in addition to the usual IHWO Assessment course moderation. This means that the certificate you receive if you pass the course will have the Cambridge English Language Assessment logo on it and the words ‘Moderated by Cambridge English Language Assessment’.